Gutters are often one of the last things that homeowners think about checking regularly, but it can be one of the most costly repairs if ignored. If your gutters are not draining properly, it can cause water damage to your foundation and destroy the integrity of your home. A crumbling foundation can cause a shift in the floors of your house, possibly causing it to be condemned. Maintenance of gutters around your home can also prevent pests, mold, and mildew from overtaking your abode. Here are some signs that you need to look for in order to make sure that these water ducts around your roof are working effectively. If you notice any of these signs, it is time to call a specialist and to get these spouts replaced.
- Cracks or fractures: A fracture, may seem simply cosmetic, but eventually time and heavy rainfall or snowfall can cause further damage to the eave trough. It can damage the shingles on the roof or the condition of the foundation.
- Standing water in the pipes: If you have standing water in the rain spout, it is a sign of improper draining. This can lead to deteriorating shingles and water damage to the interior of your home through your roof. If ignored, this can also lead to standing ground water which can seep into your basement or foundation, causing costly damage.
- Peeling paint or rust stains under your gutter pipes: This is another indication that your gutters are not performing at optimum levels. Eave troughs are meant to withstand general wear and tear for many years. If you are noticing peeling paint that means the gutters are not properly draining. The rust residue means that your gutters are holding large amounts of water on a continual basis, causing stress on the system and rapid breakdown.
- Gaps between connecting gutter chutes: If you are seeing gaps between your home and the chutes or between individual pieces of piping, it is time to call in a professional. Gaps will lead to the gutters detaching from the house altogether if allowed to continue.
- Water damage marks directly beneath the gutter: If you can see water damage, this is an early indicator of weaknesses in your gutters.
With proper maintenance your gutters should be able to handle the rain from any storm. Watch for the signs above and make sure that you look over your eave troughs whenever you have any roof damage from high winds and falling branches. Keeping your gutters in good condition by hiring a professional now can save you thousands in the long run. If you spot trouble with your gutters, contact NC Gutter Guys today.